Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

My Art- Day 1

Today, I decided to post something that I just recently started. Lately I've been working on portraits because I have a tough time with faces, and bodies. Now, I'm no where near being an accomplished artist...or even an intermediate one. I'm more of a long-standing beginner.  I decided to do a self-portrait of this picture:

I chose this picture because, although it isn't perfect, it's a side of me that most people don't see. Bed head, early morning, when I'm in a super good mood. And I thought it would be a challenge for me to draw. So far I've been right. This is where I am at the moment:

 
 
Obviously, it isn't finished, but it's the beginning. When ever I draw faces, I always start with the outline of the head. Getting down the shape of the face. Normally, I then draw the out line of the eyes, nose, and lips.
 
I'll be honest I absolutely suck at drawing hair, so I typically wait until everything else is drawn and shaded before I even mess with it. Although, in this case, I did get the outline of my hair down as well.
 
Comparing the pictures side to side really helps me see where I've gone wrong and what areas need improvement. Example: Right now my portrait's upper lip is too full and I need to bring my nose out a little bit farther. Also, my right eye (left side of the paper) is slightly larger than the left eye (right side of the paper).
 
Another thing I like to do when I draw faces, is to get a second opinion from someone I know who will be a hundred percent honest with me, and tell me what areas need improvement. For me, that person is typically my Mom. Just remember, don't be afraid of constructive criticism! Try to take advice and use it!
 
Thank-you for checking out my page! Oh delicious ambiguity! Stop in next Monday to see what my next post will be about!
 
-Sydney Elliott
 
P.S. Feel free to post a comment below or send me an email at elliott.sydney@rocketmail.com! Especially if you have any advice for me! Or you just want to ask a question! Thank-you and Stay Tuned!
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice picture! This is really good. Miss you. Cait wait for more.

    ReplyDelete